During this time of an unprecedented Public Health Emergency, Please make your health the primary focus. I am here to help your student and your family through the Covid-19 situation as we transition to online educational opportunities. Your teachers will be sending out information and learning options between now and Monday March 30th, 2020. I have created an additional page entitled "Covid-19 Resources and Support." Please visit that page for detailed ways to help your student and family. Please continue to call my work number as calls will be forwarded to me. Email is also a great option. As the school closing continues, we will be updating websites, webpages and sending out weekly communications to stay connected to our students and their families. Below are tips for a Proactive Approach with your teens.
- Initiate Conversation with your Teen.
- Validate Feelings: Fear and Threat trigger many emotions. This is typical and expected during difficult times.
- Empower your Teen by focusing on what is in your control: family routines, washing hands, good nutrition, fun, love, covering coughs, staying in and getting quality sleep. These are proactive ways to boost our immune system.
- Focus on Facts: Organizations and Health Care Workers are working around the clock to keep the public safe. Share facts and numbers in small portions as your teen asks questions. As our resilience grows so will our strength. We will get through this.
- Help students with academic, social and emotional situations
- Monitor grades, interim reports, promotions and retentions
- Oversee state standardized testing
- Create master schedule & student schedules
- Implement and monitor 504 plans
- Coordinate student wellness activities and special activities
- Liason for home schooling, online classes & course recovery
- Deal with difficult topics: anxiety, depression, grief, divorce, traumatic events, drug/alcohol issues, and student disabilities
School Counselor Mission
Professional school counselors design and deliver comprehensive school counseling programs that promote student achievement. These programs are comprehensive in scope, preventative in design and developmental in nature" ASCA, 2005